Friday, October 10, 2003

Haverford Township Day

This community event began 9 years ago. For years the first Saturday in October was the day that the township fire companies opened Fire Prevention Week activities.

The story I’ve been told is the Phil DiNenno who was with the Haverford Township Civic Counsel approached the Township Manager and asked about extending the parade. To be honest I really have no memory of those first years since I was only peripherally involved. But I believe that the form of the first event was very much as it continues today.

Six years ago I did add my own twist when I got my friend Jim Sims to direct a 5K race as part of the activities.

Last year and this year I acted as the chair of a very informal group of volunteers who really do all the work in pulling the day together.

Each person brings something to the mix whether crafts, flea market, amusements, food sales or entertainment. It’s been great to work with such a dedicated group who devote so many hours to pulling this event together.

Next year for the tenth I’m hoping that the Township will move toward a more professional approach. The infusion of volunteer spirit is important but I think it’s come time to have some guidelines on how things are done,

No comments: