Sunday, November 09, 2003

Penn Wynne 5K

Four weeks, four races: marathon, 25K, 10K, 5K. I didn't plan it but it turned out to be an interesting pattern and fun to run each week a little faster. Maybe this racing has become an obsession. Well at least each was a decrease in distant. Yesterday’s speed was less then I expected since I felt strong and relaxed and the weather was crisp, but all that running has undoubtedly taken its toll and the course is very hilly. The 5K benefits a small local library and is nicely put together. It is thru very nice suburban streets; part of the last mile (and the only flat portion) is along Powdermill Drive which parallels Karakung Creek. The opposite side of the creek is Karakung Drive which is a major part of the Haverford Day 5K course.

I love running in the fall. It’s been unusually warm and very wet but yesterday and today chilly weather finally arrived. Today I ran an early morning run under a bright blue dome of sky with great pleasure. I stopped briefly to watch workman installing a cobblestone drive. I just had my drive redone with concrete to look like cobblestone but it was nice seeing craftsmen doing the real thing. When I commiserated about working in the cold, one fellow asked aren’t you cold; I completely forgot about how strange it seemed to be standing there in shorts and a t-shirt (although I was wearing gloves). Many trees especially the maples are still green. The wood which last year reminded me of Lothlorian’s golden trees is, this year, still green. Later on the same the nature trail (at Haverford College) I saw a fox, an unusual suburban encounter. A great weekend of joyful running. Three more races this year: Philadelphia Marathon, Jingle Bell Run, and Reindeer Romp. Then I will take a month off. Well unless something catches my eye.



No comments: