Saturday, February 21, 2004

Winter Contradictions


Last Saturday was warm (40’s) and Sunday was cold. This time last year we had 43 inches of snow and this
year 13. A colder than average January but lots ofrain. So it has gone this winter.

Friday I went south on the Rocky Run trail. To my surprise the trails still had a lot of icy patches. Winter opens great vistas and perhaps that’s why I saw so many deer. But the weather has been tough on parts of the trail and my first fall of the day was a minor stumble as I tried to get over a small stream where the bridge had partially washed away. An hour into the run I had circled around and needed to cross a larger stream. I have crossed at this spot a half-dozen times without incident but debris forced me further upstream. Still there were plenty of rocks and though the water higher than usual it wasn't moving very hard. I got more then half way across when the only rocks left were under water. No problem if I stepped lightly and quick I would be ok. But it wasn’t to be - I slipped and my right arm and leg went into about 18 inches of very cold water – I must have been a sight as I tried to bounce up without getting my left side wet. I was only about twenty minutes out and it was about 40 so I thought I’d be ok. I decided I was better off without the wet glove so off it came but I did quicken my pace. Minutes later I saw a beautiful red fox in his gorgeous winter coat. But coming down a hill I had my third fall. This was a beaut. It started with me sliding on ice I thought I had avoided by going to the side of the trail. Now what follows sounds like I thought it out slowly and carefully but it happened in a second. I knew I was falling and I knew trying to break with my arms might cause a worst injury so I folded into a fetal position and bounce on my left arm – not bad but then I kept sliding head forward down the hill – what fun. I kind of slipped off the path and was able to get up none the worse forwear. I couldn't believe I had managed it without injury. It was tempting to get cocky but I knew I had been very lucky and it was time to be careful. Fortunately the rest of run was uneventful but a hot shower sure did feel good.

Today was a long run using Kelly, West River, and Forbidden Drives. Early in the run I ran by Nick. We chatted briefly as runners do. How about this wind? Nick says at least you have it at your back. I smiled – this is Kelly Drive the wind is never at your back, somehow it’s always in your face. I ran the new trail that parallels the Schuylkill and goes to Locust Street. It should be very nice when it’s finished. I did my fav run around the Art Museum then back down
to the loop and hit the strongest winds yet. There was so much debris in the wind it actually stung. This winter I feel like I’m in a Willa Cather novel and am one of the pioneers bedeviled by the plains winds. (Forecast for tomorrow: strong north west winds.) I did enjoy this run – yes I was tired and sore – but the winter landscape seems so stark and clear that you are often in the moment – you seemed to notice the bones of the land and somehow seem connected to it – and in the end it seemed much more effortless then an equivalent summer run.

P.S. It's better to wear out then rust.


No comments: