Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving

In today’s paper there’s an article by someone from the Ayn Rand institute who says we all got it all wrong the Thanksgiving is all about gratitude for productivity. Well maybe. But on my morning run (the first after the marathon. Don’t you love those first runs. Never sure if every thing will work, but restless after three days off – running is addictive.) I found myself grateful just for all the things around me.

So just on this run and not even beginning to count all my other blessings I am grateful for clouds – black, gray and white all roiling across the sky. I am grateful for the patches of brilliant blue and a sun the makes the edges of clouds fiery white. The ornamental pears planted by the town a few years ago hung on to their green leaves after the maples had changed and dropped. But this week they had a committee meeting and decided all together to switch on the red and yellows. I am grateful for green fields and leaves, red, orange and yellow. I am grateful for other runners and shouts of good morning and Happy Thanksgiving. I am grateful for barking dogs, for leaf litter and muddy paths, for honking geese and squirrel houses high in the trees.

And that't just this morning. This year I have enjoyed many great runs through fields and woods, on the beach with ocean waves, in Canadian towns and Mt. Desert Island. For all I am grateful.

Throughout today I will reflect on friends and family and all that means and all the blessings I have been given and how very much I have to be grateful for.

No comments: