Monday, August 29, 2005

Stockton Springs Harbor Festival 5.5 Miler

I have been on vacation in Maine. Two years ago I ran the Mt. Desert Island Marathon, last year I ran the Bar Harbor Half Marathon, this year I ran a five mile
race in Stockton Springs. If Zeno is right my races will get shorter and shorter but never disappear.

This was one of the smallest races I have run. 30 runners did a 5 mile plus loop of Cape Jellison. Wonderful course - hilly, with great views of the harbor.

I remarked to one of the organizers that I hope they can get the race to grow. (This was the second year).She said they had some competition this year because
of the folk festival in Bangor and a five mile race in Northeast Harbor. Both of those locations are by mystandards far away but I guess it is different in
rural locations.

Two years ago in the marathon I was surprised that even while we ran toward Southwest Harbor there was an elevation rise; this yearI was surprised by how hilly
this loop around Cape Jellison was. I suppose it is because the rocky terrain of Maine was only recently (by geologic standards) under glaciers, everywhere in
coastal Maine is hilly. But what beautiful vistas.

Mile three was a very long downhill that I knew we would payback in the end and mile four did not disappoint.

The race was advertized as 5.25 but the race director announced at the beginning they had determined the true distance to be 5.5. The good news was that the
last quarter was sharply downhill.

I placed 12th and ran 8 minute miles. Great fun to run in such a low key local community event in such a beautiful spot. Hope it does grow and prosper.

Chad Brooks
Currently in Winterport, Maine

No comments: