Sunday, April 23, 2006







As I write it is a beautiful, bright spring afternoon. With the exception of yesterday’s heavy rain it has been a beautiful spring week here. I really enjoyed Friday’s trail run thru a wood well into its spring greening. I took yesterday off but did go to a runners’ clinic offered by Springfield Hospital. Tried to get some magic advice that would conquer my late race cramps but unfortunately the docs and techs only had the common sense advice I already knew.

Ran this am when it was still overcast and cool, the drives loop was perfect since eight miles at marathon pace was exactly what I wanted. Crowded day since a crew regatta was taking place on the river. It was fun passing all the kids getting ready to row. Some of the booths smell awfully good.

It was crowded and noisy until I got well onto Martin Luther King Drive. There I encountered a goose family with four tiny goslings. The parents didn’t seem to care how close I was but I didn’t push their tolerance.

Got back to Kelly Drive right on schedule where I momentarily had myself convinced my car had been stolen until I realized I was in the wrong block.

Couple more days of light running then it’s off to Nashville. I’m a little nervous not having flown in so long (not in flying per se but all the getting to the airport, and getting around in an unknown city). I believe this is the earliest start (7AM) I have ever had for any race. I decided my mantra will be:

Depart, oh night!
Set, you stars!
Set, you stars!
At dawn I shall win!
I shall win! I shall win!

Chad Brooks

No comments: