Sunday, June 25, 2006

Double Trouble Trail Run (15K)

This is one of the runs managed by the infamous Ron Horn of Pretzel City Sports known for his unique run applications. It is held in French Creek State Park. I didn’t remember it as so hilly but it is mostly going up or down. You can choose to run a 15K or continue on for a second loop. I have only ever done the 15.

The weather forecasters predicted heavy rain this weekend. At home it has been mostly intermittent, but as I headed west on the Turnpike it began to rain pretty steadily. It was mostly light for the next couple of hours.

Ron’s races rarely start on time and today was no exception. His pre-race instructions are part of the entertainment, including having the 15K runners taunt the 30K and vice-versa. Ron gives a head start to runners who come a distance – after lining up runners from Florida, South Dakota, and LaPaz, Bolivia he asked if anyone else came from a distance. Someone called out my buddy who is two days back from 18 months in Iraq. It was nice to see him given a warm welcome.

The first mile is always a little slow since it takes time for the pack to string out and there are a few choke points including a narrow bridge. But soon I was running at a good pace. There are two climbs in the race. For a long time I was able to run up the hills, but as the race went on it began to rain harder and more steadily and the trail conditions got muddy going uphill was more difficult. On a downhill I past a runner, but on the next flat he called out on your left as I moved to my right my feet came out from under me and I went down hard on my left side. A lot of the trail is very rocky but luckily this stretch was more so while dirty I had a cushy landing. The passing runner ran back and helped me up but I was fine and quickly back on pace. The runner behind asked if I was ok – you went down pretty hard. Hey falling is part of trail running, I’m great. (But my shoulder did ache a bit – probably regret all this wear and tear when I’m sixty.) So on we went – being passed and passing others. The runner who asked how I was, was just in front of me when we made a 90 degree turn and down he went. The trail turned sharply up and was a channel of deep, red clay. There was no solid footing at all if you tried to go to the sides you slipped down. Better just to slog thru the mud but what an uphill.

But after that the footing while churned mud was a little easier if you edged it out. Also the last couple of miles are mostly downhill. I was surprised that some people were walking but then I have been there in some races.

The last couple of hundred yards are on a macadam type surface with a tiny uphill and I ran in hard as I could.

Well it’s been said before on this list – in running we get to play, rain and mud only make it more fun.

And the promised hot water was actually warm this year so we got to shower before heading home.

On my way home just before I got to the Turnpike I got a flat tire, not good luck but as I was trying to get the lug nuts off a tow truck driver stopped (I had AAA available thanks to my wife's quick work but thought it would take them forever to get to me) and he quickly got me back on the road. Thanks to Crawford Auto and Dan Brookes.

No comments: