Saturday, August 05, 2006

So are you running?


This is a question I have heard often during the current heat wave. Neighbors, friends even fellow runners ask. Sometimes I will hear that question in the winter cold but never with quite the same frequency as this week. On my early morning runs there are a regular cast of characters I will meet, mostly other runners and walkers but there is one fellow who walks to the P&W (a light rail connecting Norristown and Upper Darby). Normally we only exchange good mornings but the other day he asked, “Isn’t it hot for running?” Well yes it is, but wow you are walking almost a mile and will have to repeat this evening – a much tougher task it seems to me, (That’s what I thought but what I said was, “It sure is!”

I have been running my usual schedule and distance including Tuesday night speed work. Last week I had the good fortune to in Bethany Beach (DE) and got to run on the beach.

I have been getting up fifteen minutes early so that I am out the door by 5:30. The tough runs have been my trail runs. The woods are in full summer green and some of less used paths are closed in with vegetation that seems determine to keep you out and prevent any breeze from softening the humid heat.

I can’t say that these are enjoyable runs – more get it done and over with runs.

But up until today I haven’t had any heat related problems. Today was cooler and lest humid and I thought my run would be easy. I even slept in a little but perhaps I was still dehydrated from yesterday’s run or maybe it was the strong sun or maybe I started out too fast but for the first time I really bonked. The familiar feeling of cramping began about mile seven and I felt leg heavy and little disoriented. In the last half mile I walked several times something I never do in training runs.

I have increased my fluids significantly and I’ll be interested in seeing how tomorrow morning goes. I will be going out early so I can run with Elvis and Ron Cade.

I have an ambitious schedule ahead of me with three half marathon in the next six weeks. I will taper a bit toward the end of this week in preparation for the most difficult of these runs – the Half Wit Half Marathon.

So are you running? I will be but hopefully more carefully and thoughtfully.

No comments: