Friday, September 08, 2006

Wasnt It Just The Fourth Of July

Wasn’t It Just The Fourth of July

That’s what I thought as I ran trails on a cool, misty September morning.  A couple of weeks ago I felt I could sense fall coming but now it is unmistakable.  The trees are still green of course but the path is covered with leaf litter and the grasses have gone to seed.

The day brightens and I can spy blue sky but the sun is low and still hidden.  A light mist drifts through, the grass is very wet underfoot, and on the deer fence the spider webs glisten.  Some are small and occupy perfectly just the one square of wire.  But others are enormous and stretch out, their mistresses still in the center.

Last week the woods were filled with deer but today I only encounter one large doe.  She was using the same path as I.   She turns and watches me for several seconds before bounding off into the underbrush.

There are many trees down but no path is completely blocked and a large tree that had blocked by path last week has already been removed by the Arboretum staff.  (The Arboretum keeps it paths clear – the state park is less diligent and new paths are created as hikers seek ways around.)

The past several runs I have tried new pathways.  I am familiar enough now with these trails now I have little fear of getting “lost”.  Even when markings disappear I know if I hold direction I will encounter something familiar and get back on track.

Nearing the end of my run I am running with the wood to my left and a meadow to my right.  In the summer I am usually quite exhausted by now, but today I am bounding easily along. Last spring this is where I saw the fox kits but now tall grasses dominant.  I come up a small hill and stop for a moment to take in the scene as the field stretches out framed by trees and sky, the lingering mist now quickly burning off.  Not sure how to put this into words but it all seemed so right.   It was simply a beautiful morning.

This should be a great weekend:  tomorrow a 5K, then right off to the shore where I plan on running, swimming and biking the whole weekend.

No comments: