Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back to the Future



I ran ten miles today. It seems remarkable. I really thought that part of my life was over. I am realistic. I know I am withdrawing from the "hip" bank but ...

A few weeks ago I got involved with a new 5K to be run in Haverford. The course is really just a modification of the Haverford Township Day course. I used my Garmin to set the course and get it as close to 5K as possible. The course was designed to end on the High School track and it was fun figuring out the course which began in front of the middle school building.

Last Saturday I ran the course twice and realized I felt pretty good so today I decided to go for the ten miles.

Next week is Broad Street. I had signed up for the run a couple of months ago with no firm idea if I would be able to do the course.

I ran out today under a cool, cloudy sky. The course is my old favorite of running out thru Merion Golf Manor, to the golf course and over to Haverford College and doing the nature trail loop. I was slow but steady. With each step I gain confidence that I could easily do the distance. Hip feels good.

I have been preparing to run a triathlon in June by swimming and biking in the gym. My runs have been on the weekend and until last Saturday were never longer then four miles.

Friday I tried a mini-tri in the gym. I swam for 30 minutes, then biked for 30 minutes, then ran for 10 minutes on the treadmill.

So here we go. A year has gone by but I feel I will run. Carefully. But I will run.

No comments: