Thursday, September 18, 2003

David Blaine

I'm curious if any one on DRM has been following the David Blaine furor. For those who don't know Blaine is a talented magician. His close up slight of hand is absolutely amazing. For the past couple of years he has been doing "stunts" like being sealed in a block of ice. His latest stunt is being sealed in a glass box over the Thames where he will stay 44 days without food (but will have water). Now remember he is an illusionist so I wonder. But last year (I think) he put out a very strange book and I wouldn't be surprise if he actually was doing it. He is very big on acts of will.

The unusual thing is this stunt has had a very strange affect on the British. They have been taunting him, hitting the case with eggs and golf balls. The other day someone tried to cut off his water supply. Now again since this is a stunt those acts may be staged for publicity. But Blaine has been savagely attack by both left and right; the kindest critics have said he's an idiot and even that he causing anti-Americanism (or is a victim of it).

Now I agree the stunt is pointless but what the heck -who's he hurting. It may be because I regularly engage in an activity (running in general and marathoning in particular) that many if not most see as pointless and worse (I remember the screams directed at us during the Baltimore Marathon by those caught in traffic) (not to mention that I correspond with even nuttier people who do ultras), but I kinda admire the gustiness of pulling this off. There is something sublime in the essence of this in your face, pointless, look at me, arrogance of this stunt.

I’d be interested in how other runners look at this.

No comments: