Sunday, September 07, 2003

Friends of the Dove 10K

Peace Valley Park

Lake Galena

I entered this race on a last minute whim. I was checking races for a friend and chanced on this race (go to events). It sounded so interesting I decided I would give it a try. This race was about the edge of how far I’m willing to go for a small local race. Actually on a Sunday morning it wasn’t too bad; about 45 minutes up the blue route, turnpike and Rt 309. 309 is highly commercialized with lots of the newer big box centers reflecting the increasing development of this area. The back road areas are still quite beautiful. But it seems obvious that these towns are going to have to deal with congestion issues quite soon. I did get a little lost at the end but a very nice homeowner saw me puzzling over a map and gave me directions. She added that the park was a treasure and I would really enjoy it. It was and I did.


This was a no excuses race. Perfect weather (well maybe a little warm but lots of shade) and although it was crowded at the start, I was able to run at my pace quickly. I had hoped for 8 minute miles and averaged a bit slower 8:13. I had done 10 miles yesterday so that may have contributed. One long uphill in mile two but I did quite well in that part. The course is a loop around Lake Galena. Mostly on a bike path but a couple of miles on fairly well controlled lroads (amateur radio group served as marshals). After the first mile I always had plenty of room to run. At mile three you go past the nature center. A little further on we passed birders who were training their binoculars and scopes on a birding area closed to humans.

Great finish – last half mile is a straight on a causeway over a dam. Out of 266 runners I was 114.

No comments: