Sunday, March 14, 2004

Beautiful morning for a run.
I chose to do the paved loop in Ridley Creek Park rather then the trails. This is because the course replicates the Caesar Rodney course which I will run Sunday by half.

The park loop is about five miles if you run from the entrance. Like CR (actually CR's first half mile drops but then flattens)you start flat and then climb steadily for about a mile and a half – plateau – then go downhill for about a mile. If you look at the graphic of CR's elevation the park loop does the same thing (that graphic is very scary btw and always makes me thing what the heck are you doing!!!!).

The sun was at the perfect elevation to light the woods which glowed silver. The wind (out of the NW with gusts up to 45 mph) was terrific – the roar through the trees as loud and rumbling but at ground level I was relatively protected by the woods on either side and wasn’t bothered. For the first time in a long time I saw no deer in the park – too
many walkers and joggers I guess.

I got my newly confirgured RW yesterday. (Haven't made up my mind about the new graphics but certainly
wasn't blown away.) Read an article about downhill running. Unfortunately only learned that it's murder on your quads which I knew. I'll let you know how my great downhill goes Sunday. One thing Friday morning didn't replicate is the huge uphill at the end of CR. I've been imaging all week hoping that I will really challenge that hill.

I want to run smart on Sunday. Steady pacing with a great finish is my goal.


No comments: