Sunday, March 07, 2004

First Race of the Season

I did run a race in January but the Icicle 10 Miler lived up to its name and between the rain, sleet and slushy roads it was hardly a typical race more like a survial exercise.

Today however was just about perfect. Bright blue skies, about 47F, windy during my warm up run but I noticed it less during the race itself.

I realized my winter runs have been very solitary. Oh you would see the other occasional runner but mostly, especially on the early morning runs ,you have the road to yourself. On Friday's trail run I did over ten miles and never saw another human being. (BTW I did several stream crossings without getting wet!)

Even as recently as two weeks ago when I did my long run, much to my surprise at the time, the river drives were mostly empty.

Today the path is full of life and the parking lots full. The rowers appear to here in force and bikers are gathering for group rides. The skaters, joggers and walkers all are here in numbers. It’s pleasant to see all the variety and activity.

Today’s race is the first of my three March runs of increasing distance. Northeast Road Runners Winter 10K is a low key affair on the Kelly Drive bike path. We racers will share the path with all the other users.

I see lots of friends and acquaintances who have come out for the start of the race season. I am sure the good weather also helps the turnout. My plan is to go out hard in control and try for a negative split race. I line up with Julia who is in her first race since taking time off to have a baby. Cameron is there with his Dad to cheer Mom on (well ok as it turns out he slept thru the race but hey I got rewarded with a big smile). It turns out Julia is quite prepared for her comeback and goes out very fast. My plan is busted. Still I feel good – later in the race I am passed by two contemporaries . They had raced wisely. Still I did well and had a good sprint to the finish.

After the race and after some kibitzing I followed up with another six miles – really a beautiful morning for running and great to see so many folks out to enjoy this urban treasure. My only negative – the amount of graffiti vandalism. A tremendous amount in just the past couple of weeks. So sad. And we know how to fight it – have known for many years. The secret is to clean it up immediately not in a couple days, or couple of weeks or never. I just don’t understand why government doesn’t get it.



I

No comments: