Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Commodore Barry Bridge 10K

Last Sunday I ran a very small 5K in Swarthmore. It was a fun run and part of a larger festival. The course itself was pleasant - thru Swartmore College and the borough of Swartmore.

This week I did the Commodore Barry Bridge Run. It was a 5K walk and run
and a 10K. This bridge like the Ben Franklin was designed originally
without a center barrier and the lanes would change depending on the rush
hour. I guess several head ons later both bridges have center barriers.
The 5K starts in the south(east) bound lanes and the 10K in the north(west)
lanes. Walkers start behind the 10K (pretty good planning I thought since
the walkers have their own space the entire way - 10K runners cross the
entire span and return in the east lanes). On the start line a runner said
that the bridge looked a lot steeper and longer than it did on the web. And
indeed the uphill portion is daunting. Suprisingly just when you think you
crested there is another little rise (I thought it was just me but a couple
of other runners noticed it). The view from the top is spectacular -
although the day was shortly to turn cloudy and eventually rainy it was
still blue skies with views of the Philly skyline 10 miles away. On the
down slope you get a clear view of the Chester Power Station - a fantastic redevelopment project to give new life to an old power station. It should be spectacular when finished in the fall. Favorite sign - No Stopping On Bridge - good race advice. Coming back I really planned on enjoying the
downhill and I did, but the wind was very strong somewhat negating my plans
for a fast finish.

My goal was 8 minutes miles and I finished in 49:11 which was 7:56. Only
disappointment - originally I was announced as third in my age group - no
big deal in a small field - but apparently a mistake since looking at the
results this morning I see I was fourth. By accident they had no medals for
the 10K runners so at least I don't have to give back a medal.

When I came back there were many 5K runners on the scene. This race is known for a really delicious post race brunch and I figured they were still there because of the food - but many more than usual still hung around - then a friend who had done the 5K enlightened me - duh! The bridge was closed until all the walkers cleared - no one could leave! That's one way to get people to stay for the awards ceremony. Once they announced the bridge opened the crowd melted away almost instantaneously.

Coming up this week one of my favorites - Broad Street.

No comments: