Saturday, April 03, 2004

Tyler Arboretum 10K

This is a trail run mostly thru the 450 uncultivated acres of the 650 acres owned by the Arboretum. Several years ago the Arboretum made the decision to erect of large deer fence to protect the collections of rare plants. Going out thru the fence always seems a dramatic way to enter the woodlands reminiscent of King Kong or Jurassic Park.

Much of the run is familiar ground for it covers the trails I run every Friday. My last run on the trail was in a spring snow and today is considerably greener (although not quite a green as I expected – the cold wet weather undoubtedly). A low pressure system has stalled over this area bringing grey skies and rain, although we got through the run without rain. The course reflected that with much mud, wet courses and high water on the stream crossings.

My only goal was not to walk any of the hills and though my shorten stride was often barely running I did accomplished that.

A combination of better weather (last year a cold wet rain fell all thru the run), familiarity with the trails, and better hill running meant I was much faster then last year.

Biggest disappointment was the t-shirt – so non-descript they might as well given Hanes right out of the package. Second biggest was no plant give away. Although I always manage to kill it – I did enjoy getting a cutting of some bush or other that had traditionally been given out at the finish line.

Still it is a great spring run and a definite favorite.

No comments: