Monday, August 16, 2004

Half Wit Half Marathon

Don’t know why I have such a problem with this run.

First, the weather (yes I know it is August but there are nice days in August). The first year I ran it was very hot. Last year was only a little better. This year – well we could have had anything: first forecast was for a nice day. Then Charley came along. For awhile it looked like the race might occur during a driving rain and high winds, but Charley’s track took it off shore and what rain fell was gone by race time. But while relatively cool it was extremely humid.

I felt organized and ready, but somehow I had a series of mishaps. First I forgot to pick up the trail shoes (left right by the front door) I planned to run in. Fortunately, I had another pair in my Jeep. These were heavier than I would have liked for a race, but I had little choice since I was an hour from home. Then a rather serious misstep: I forgot to put my Succeed tablets in my race ready pocket. I had them ready to go and can’t understand the oversight.

The race itself (as usual) began about 20 minutes late. The race director has a good time making fun of the course, Reading, and the runners. If you have seen his race application you will get a flavor of his sense of humor.

I knew I wanted to run slow and steady and lined up toward the back. The disadvantage of this is that in the first mile there a number of choke points - so you find yourself running and then stopping. Early on there was a stream crossing and despite some care I got wet – yuck first mile and my foot is wet. Every year this first part is slightly different.

The first part of the race loops back to the pavilion where the registration takes place. You actually run thru the pavilion. Then into the woods. This race has a number of steep inclines. I suppose the faster runners run up them all (something I would like to see someday). But I walked the steepest inclines. The problem with this course is that many of the down hills are so precipitous that we can’t speed down but must cautiously careen down grabbing tress sweat stained from previous runners (again I would like to see how the fast runners handle these hills).

Miles three thru six are wooded over rolling landscape and so far I was running well. About mile six you come down a steep incline onto a ball field. There is a water station there. You circle the infield and are confronted with the 128 steps from hell. I have no idea why or where this comes from but it is a very steep incline up a series of granite blocks. Who or why they were placed is an unsolved mystery. This stretch includes negotiating a large tree that most choose to crawl under. Notable on the course this year was the number of downed trees. After the steps there is a return three mile trip thru the woods until you get back to road. I was struggling a bit walking more than I wanted and bitterly regretted not having my Succeed tablets since I could feel my legs cramping up. I made sure I got two cups of water and ran fairly well on a short stretch of asphalt but just after reentering the woods my legs (quadriceps) really seized up. The pain was intense I couldn’t even stretch I managed to sit down and tried to massage my legs. By drawing them up it felt better. Several runners went by asking how I was. (My experience in this race is that runners really watch out for each other and always check on lagging runners). The irony was that I felt fine unlike two years ago when I felt faint and completely unfocused. I just couldn’t get uncramped. After a few minutes I began to walk and felt better – I had decided to drop out at 9.1 miles. But after another minute of so I felt like running and did. Another four miles was going to be tough but I decided to go for it. I went into the final loop. Here you get to see faster runners who have finished the loop and are headed to the finish. The first part of the loop contains the longest downhill where you can actually run and I did pretty well but it also has the steepest uphill and just when you think you are finished with up there is one last climb. The first time I did this portion I actually sat down completely exhausted and very nearly passed out. This time I felt fine and even the cramping held off – I was just very, very slow. Finally we were back to a straight away (but very rocky and slippery) unfortunately the cramps came back in spades. Not only couldn’t I run but I could barely walk. I chose not to stop but just walk slowly. Finally I came out to the last road and path and found I could run a little and I did run – in fact I felt great in the last quarter mile (probably because I knew it was over).

All in all it was a frustrating and yet strangely satisfying experience. My performance was miserable but I willed thru the pain and setbacks. I think it will make me a better runner. I can’t imagine any race daunting me after Sunday. (Of course I have no intention of testing this theory or myself in a 50K trail run.)

No comments: