Monday, August 30, 2004

Stone Harbor 10K

This was an interesting race for me. Last September I ran the Ocean Drive Marathon and part of the course was thru Stone Harbor. The road markings (16 miles and 17 miles) were still on the road. So late in the race I could console myself that the finish was so close instead of so far. This race nicely book ended the season since I ran the Ventnor 10K to start summer.

Being a Jersey Shore race it was very flat although the weather was hot and humid. (I had driven thru thick fog to get to the race.) Nice wide streets completely closed to traffic with an out and back that lets you see all the runners. Although beautiful to watch it is also disconcerting to realize the three Kenyans in the lead are going twice as fast as you are.

I used this race to gauge my fitness and felt strong thru the race (I was quite surprised to learn I was only a few seconds faster that the Ventnor race where I had felt I was struggling). I had a great first three miles but lost some ground in the final three but not bad: 50:35 for an 8:09 pace. Would have liked a sub 8 pace but I let my mind wander a bit too much over the final miles. Despite the heat and humidity but I did manage to pass runners which I found heartening. (There were Kenyan runners in the race and one of the women was being treated by the paramedics when I came in.)

I don’t know if it was an official water stop on just a kindly neighbor but the last water stop on the race gave out tiny bathroom cups with ice. Very strange.

Toward the end of the race (with about a mile to go) I was passed by a runner who appeared to be about my age (turned out he was exactly my age 57). Now I knew I wasn’t in the running for any medals but inspired by the Olympics I decided I would contest my finish with him. Initially I ran beside him but then strategize - the talking heads on the Olympic coverage had discussed the advantage of following a runner. so I tucked in behind him. When we were two blocks from the finished I poured it on; I didn’t know if he would challenge since he seemed to be running comfortably but I easily passed him and beat him by four seconds. I was only hampered by three runners just in front of me who slowed down and blocked the finish. I know sometimes I slow down before the finish but really run thru and keep moving thru the chute. There were very nice finisher medals so I got to have my own Olympic fantasy despite my mid-pack finish.

The race ends on First Street just off the beach so before heading home I went down the beach and into the ocean for a quick swim – wonderful way to end a race.

As I heard people discussing how very hot it was I couldn’t help thinking that in a couple of hours half way around the world the marathon would start under very similar conditions (although as it turned out much better conditions then the women had to contend with). I was very impressed with the times run on that difficult course. I shudder to think what my time would be with hills and humidity. I knew exactly what Baldini was going thru as he laid on the track his quads in perfect definition. And Dan Brown – that stiff leg walk as he tried to stretch and massage just before entering the stadium (I am sure he wanted to run the last lap even if slowly). As for De Lima, my heart broke for him. I think fellow marathoners know how at mile 23 every physical and mental resource is stretched to its limit – how devastating that shove must have been. Not just the time lost but simply the mental concentration and rhythm lost. He may indeed have slowed down and been passed w/o the incident but how hard to live with the “what if”. What courage and grace he showed in defeat.

One commentator has talked about the how difficult the marathon is on participants – these athletes can really only be competitive in one or two races a year. The Olympics falling as it does in late summer is especially challenging for runners not just because of summer heat but because timing conditioning and race readiness is so difficult. It may explain why Olympic marathon winners are rarely the pre race favorites.

No comments: