Monday, September 13, 2004

Main Line Dollars For Scholars

A 5K run with two loops on Lancaster Avenue in Wayne, Pennsylvania. It always surprises runners even those who traverse Lancaster frequently by car how hilly it is. But these are gentle hills and it is relatively easy to keep pace; it also helped that I warmed up by running a major portion of the course. This race has an elaborate, detailed certification map – one of the best I have seen and yet as far as I can determine no results on line. In fact I never did see the results board. I know they were disappointed in the turnout – beautiful morning, well advertised race, not a lot of competition, good prize money and still only about 100 runners. It was my best 5K time in a while: 22:30 and I was pleased with that. I couldn’t id anyone I had raced with before (which also surprised me since this is close to home) so was pretty much on my own with pacing. My first mile was about 7:30+ which means for once I picked up (very slightly) the pace as the race proceeded. Partly this was due to two nice downhills in the last mile. I love a race that finishes on a downhill which this did. I know that I ran the last mile well because for a change I was reeling runners in instead of being past left and right. I once again used another runner to draft but only shortly because I realized that although he had passed me just past two he was really slowing by 2.5 (must have miscalculated a surge) and I knew I had plenty of energy left. I can’t be certain but I don’t think anyone passed me in that last half mile. Nice event. It’s always good to run better then you expected.

Yesterday, I did a longish run – a little over two hours. Not sure that was wise since I am doing a Half-Marathon on Saturday. But I will taper the rest of the week and it was such a pleasant morning. I started out in the dark just after six and enjoyed seeing the gradual brightening day come. Merion golf course was a hive of activity as I went past; the grounds keepers already hard at work greeted me as another early bird. There is a water fountain just off Ardmore Avenue so I took advantage of it and just a little further along on Golf View I secreted a drink that I could pick up on my return circuit. While not crowded there were more people on Haverford’s nature trail then I expected early Sunday morning. Ironically, I nearly got a chance to test dog abatement procedures when I encountered a yellow lab on an isolated road. He seemed determine to block my path but when I showed no interest in his driveway he lost interest in me and allowed me to past, but not without some admonishments so everyone would know he did his job and chased the intruder away. Got home just in time for the Sunday puzzle on NPR (phrases where both words are silent e). Felt quite energized and ready for a good half.

No comments: