Friday, September 24, 2004

First Fall Trail Run

Dew point 63/Humidity 84%.

It was wet this morning as I set out on the trail. I have to cross a grassy field to enter the woods so my feet are quickly soaking wet. It is light but the sun is still hidden. A mist hangs low which always gives a primeval feel to the woods. It is warm this morning but fall changes have begun. Some trees have yellowed and the trail already has a coating of freshly fallen leaves. I make the great loop this morning and briefly leave the Arboretum and enter Ridley Creek Park. On the trail there I encounter a hiker. It's rare that I ever see another human on the trails. Our brief exchange of good mornings is interrupted by a deer crashing across the trail. The mere sound of our voices must have disturbed her.

Back in the Arboretum the trail I choose leads to a large meadow and here fall is more evident as much of the vegetation has begun to die back. The sunlight just striking the trees to my right makes the yellows particularly brilliant. As I re-entry the woods the dappled sunlight is another reminder of fall. In high summer the canopy is dense enough to keep out direct sunlight but now patches of sunshine are everywhere. I skirt one more meadow and then enter the woods for the last leg out to Middletown Road. I've been out here for more than hour but it seems like only minutes have gone by - it was that kind of run.



No comments: