Wednesday, December 22, 2004



Posted by Hello

Christmas Running


I almost always run in the morning. Only Tuesdays, when I have faithfully run speed work first on Kelly Drive and then, when that commute became too daunting,
Haverford College with the Bryn Mawr Running Club, has broken this pattern. But this time of year for a couple of weeks I make time to run in the evening to enjoy the
Christmas lights. I try over the space of several evenings to run as many of the streets within two miles as I can.

I am nearing the end of my marathon recovery still limiting both the days and miles I am running, but these are relaxing runs and fit into the recovery

Some random thoughts and reactions to what I see: too many white lights; lots of people seem to have white lights only on their interion trees; (I am somewhat of a Christmas nut and put up two large trees as well as two small trees - my Santa tree (on which all the ornaments are Santas) does have white lights but my downstairs tree has multicolor lights - my other two trees (small ones) have no lights); what's
with cartoon characters - spongebob squarepants makes me laugh but what does he have to do with Christmas; ran past a house with all blue lights didn't seem very
Christmassy (pretty sure they weren't celebrating Hanukkah); a little further all green as I got closer the lights spelled go eagles, cut but... Some people
have gone back to the old C5 lights, nice but wow they must burn electric.

The big canvas snowman, santas, trees (and yes spongbobs) are interesting but the are noisy since a fan runs to keep them infalted. In the day most people let them deflate leaving a pile of canvas on the lawn and that seems a little sad.

I like lights that twinkle but never had much luck keeping twinkling lights lit. My wife bought me a novelty item a flasher bulb in a small box with the
legend "break in case of emergency".

So I run past the tasteful, the garish, the simple,the overtop and all of it great fun. A great custom,Christmas lights, tying us both to our pagan and Christian roots,helping us celebrate light come into the world.


There are more streets to explore and probably more surprises.

Merry Christmas

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure: for the first time I have put lights outside my own house - I lighted two artificial trees with non-twinkle white lights to light a Santa I purchased this year.

No comments: