Monday, April 25, 2005

Commodore Barry Bridge 10K

The Commodore Barry Bridge runs over the Delaware River connecting New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Some photos and a history of the bridge are here:

I like the google map overview:


And here is the start and finish area:

The race is an event I have done several times. The run is for the Conflict Resolution Center in Media. Several years ago I went through their mediator training course. I didn’t intend to be a mediator myself but wanted a better understanding of how the process worked and how police could best utilize the Center for the various disputes they encounter.

Yesterday (and today) saw a dramatic drop in temps. Not so severe as the Midwest but chilly, windy and overcast. I really only had one goal – to better my time from last year.

The run has three divisions 5K, 10K and walkers. The 10K runners get to traverse the whole bridge which I enjoy. It starts on the New Jersey side of the river and crosses to Pennsylvania. I tried to find some photos that give a sense of the elevation rise but this link was the best I could do.

and this view going from Pennsylvania to NJ.


The race is well organized and going over the bridge is great fun so I am always surprised that there aren’t more participants. (Oh and it has one of the best post race meals anywhere). There were a 104 in the 10K and 88 in the 5K. Perhaps the race is too close to Broad Street or maybe it is just too challenging.

The race starts just past the toll booth and the first mile and half is a steady climb up. I can never believe how far away the crest of the bridge seems. I actually ran the first mile well, perhaps too fast and then inexplicitly slowed down on the second – way too much since this begins the down hill. I can’t be sure but this portion seems longer but not so steep. The first mile was made even more difficult by strong, swirling winds that seemed to come for every direction but from behind. I got a smile out of the second place runner when I yelled at him – just one more hill. Part of my pacing problem was that I was not in contact with any other runner. After that one slow mile I believe I did pick pace up (relatively because I still had to climb to the crest again). This climb seems easier, less wind and a gentler slope. No one was passing me and I managed to pick off a few runners. The great thing about this race is you have a mile and half ending that is completely downhill. I ran it well and was only passed by two runners in the last .2. They were chatting away. Curse them.

Since I felt good during the whole race I was disappointed to see I was 35 seconds longer this year than last (49:11 vs 49:46). Last year I had a bit of a duel on my hands and I think that pushed me a bit. This year by and large and I ran “alone”. I was also surprised to see I was ninth in my age group – last year I was fourth. Of course as I get to the bottom of the group there are lots of speedy 50 year olds running. Interestingly this race seemed to attract a lot of older runners (14 of the top 20 were 40 and over).

Well on to Broad Street where my goal will once again be to better last year’s time.

No comments: