Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sunday Run

Another gorgeous September day. It’s warming up but still very nice. It hasn’t rain yet in September so it is very dry out there. I have been getting up early on Sundays to be the heat but today I slept in and went out after Sunday Morning finished.

I went out on my favorite route up to Merion Golf Course and circuit to the nature trail at Haverford College.

If there are any golfers out there you may have seen this year's U.S. Amateur Championship which was held Aug. 22-28 at the Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa.

The club house is about a mile and half from my front door. The shots on TV made it look like the club was in the country but in fact it is nestled in a suburban area of middle and working class homes. The course is beautiful and a joy to run by and thru. Today as I run up Golfview Road from Ardmore Avenue toward College I past an area where the homeowner had prepared an area along the road edge with fresh grass seed. Deep in the fresh turned earth were fresh deer tracks. Strange to think that just a couple of weeks ago hundreds of people stood there watching the golf tournament.

I ran with next week’s PDR in mind. My plan for the PDR is to run consistent. I would like to see a race where I maintain a good pace thru the whole race. I would love it if I can run a strong last mile instead of struggling. The new course with the start at the Art Museum should be very fast.

The start time is 7:45 AM. I know the city probably wants the roads clear and open as soon as possible but doesn’t this seem awfully early. It doesn’t bother me to much since I am only about 20 minutes from the start but it seems tough for anyone coming a distance. Are these early start times becoming more common?

No comments: