Sunday, January 15, 2006

Icicle Ten Miler - Wilmington, Delaware


December started out cold then settled down in the last week. While December was a few degrees colder than average, January has been warmer than average (about 8 degrees F warmer). Last night though winter came roaring back – there was even a coating of snow and the winds howled all night. Today was 30 degrees colder than yesterday (28 F at start). Quite fitting then that my race today was the Icicle Ten Miler.

I have run this race several times and more often then not weather has been a factor with cold temps, snow or cold rain, but no one running today remembered winds like we had today. Somehow with one short exception they always seemed to be in your face.

This race course is very close to the course followed by the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon. It is a great course for a negative split since it is all uphill early and 90% downhill the last four miles.

I had no great expectations for this run since I am still carrying all my Christmas treats. I lined up about three quarters of the way back. At first I was dismayed by how many people seemed to be ahead of me but then I realized that I would be able to pass a lot of people. I really do like cold weather running. Despite the wind I was quite comfortable. The first couple of miles were slow but gradually I was able to pick up the pace. Since I know the course well I could pace well. (Although being able to see so much of the course thru the winter trees is daunting especially mile four thru five when the hill seems to go on forever.)

After a loop thru downtown Wilmington you enter Brandywine Park this goes to Kentmere Parkway where you past the newly refurbished Delaware Art Museum then into Rockford Park and the highest point in the city. You are not quite finished though since you have to loop out to Route 52 and some rolling hills before you turn around and start back. For about a hundred yards here I felt the wind strongly at my back then it was back to cross winds but from here I knew I had three miles of downhill. And now I was passing people – from here to the finish only two runners would pass me as I had my fastest miles.

There is one last hill but even here I ran well and I was able to sprint to the finish.

Although this was a mid pack finish and not particularly great time I was very happy with this race - it was one of those runs that felt right from beginning to end.

No comments: