Friday, January 20, 2006

It was a beautiful morning. Unlike the last two Fridays today was clear and we are far enough from the winter solstice that the sky is light when I begin my run on the trail. The woods show the effects of last weekend's heavy wind and everywhere there are fallen branches and in several place large trees. It is a brown wood in all its winter starkness.

On my dead runners mail list one of the runners posted the following:

"Occasionally I'll give an ORN that mentions running on the Heritage
Trail along the Wabash River. What I haven't talked about, I don't
think is that every time I ran, I stopped at a specific point and
took a picture of part of the trail, aiming my camera at a specific
point. Saturday marked the completion of a year of pictures -- only
three weeks are missing, one in April, one in June and one in October
-- one of those was the weekend of a club race and the other two I
was out of town.

I've aligned the pictures -- to a degree -- and compiled them into a
time-lapse movie. Perfection isn't possible with photos taken with
some variability in camera location so the scenery drifts around a
bit. There's a lamp post near the center of the picture that I used
as the alignment point and it moves very little. It's a pretty cool
little (~2.5mb) movie. If you're interested and can view WMV movies
(Windows Media Video or something like that), it's at:

lafinlarry

I'm aiming my camera off a pedestrian bridge over the Wabash River
(what used to be the Main Street Bridge before a new one was built
just south of it and you can see the occasional vehicle on the road
that crosses the bridge in the background through the trees) at the
junction of the access ramp from the bridge with the trail.

And that's me waving in the last frame.



You will need to download the file and then watch it in Windows Media Player but it is well worth it. I especially like it because it shows the changing seasons.

I want to try to do something similar on my trail.

No comments: