Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hat Run 50K

Hat Run 50K

Or

Adam Helmer I’m not

I ran this race last year as my first Ultra and returned this year hoping to better my time.  That was not to be – yet I had a very good time and I think a successful race (well ok run).

Last year I stayed overnight but realizing Susquehanna Park is only 68 miles from home I decided to drive down the morning of the race.

I got to the park in plenty of time and enjoyed finishing my coffee and watching the other runners arrive.

I set up my gear in the picnic pavilion that serves as the finish and midway point.  The morning was cloudy, and chilly (about 38F when I arrived).  Although a lot of runners were in tights, I decided to go with shorts.

I had prepared a water bottle that I had added Accelerade to; it was a good idea but too small.  

Part of the tradition of the race is to give out the number of hats equal to the number of years – 18 this year.  Hats go to oldest male and female, shortest, longest distance, shortest and other fun categories.






The race began promptly at 9AM.  The first mile is a loop of the entrance road to string the runners out before entering the trail.  I wanted to start cautiously so I seeded myself pretty far back.  In hindsight this may have been a mistake – there was a little too much stop and go, and walking in the first couple of miles.  I would have preferred a steadier pace.  This may seem contradictory since my finish time was slow, but I think the slow start kept me out longer then I wanted and made the likelihood of cramps more certain.

The first and most difficult stream crossing comes early in the race.  The water was pretty high this year.  Runners were selecting several different routes.  I started across when the runner in front of me decided against this route and started back.  He knocked my bottle out my hand and almost dunked me I steadied myself  but on my next jump I slipped on the mossy rock and went down on my right knee.  I didn’t realize until much latter that I had skinned it pretty good.  Amazingly I didn’t get my feet wet.

About mile three we came out onto a field where I could finally run at my own pace.  I hit the first station in an hour.  And here I made a mistake I had the volunteer fill my water bottle but I didn’t take any additional water.  The small bottle I was carrying just wasn’t enough fluid.  Although it was chilly, it was breezy and I realize now I was losing more water than I realized.  (When I changed my shirt at the midpoint my shirt was soaking wet.)   The next five miles are a combination of single track woodland and a wide cinder trail along a running stream.  You then come back to the first aid station from the opposite direction.  This time I lingered for some Pringles and potatoes.  I took some water but in hindsight not enough.  The next five miles are the prettiest and also the toughest - all ups and downs.  The first couple of miles are along a rolling single track with great views of the Susquehanna River.  Finally after a long up climb you come out for a short run thru a field that leads to the original loop road.  There the course turns you back into the woods for a rocky run that is a trail only in someone’s imagination.

You eventually come to real trail that climbs steeply.  This will lead to a field crossing that ends in the entrance road and back to the picnic pavilion.  

I got there in three hours.  Slower than I wanted and I knew it was unlikely I would be able to do the second loop in three.  I took 11 minutes to change my shirt (should have pinned my number to my shorts not my shirts.)  I also changed my socks and shoes (mile or so into the second loop and fellow runner asked. “Hey did you change you shoes”.)

I had change into my new Ochoco’s from Keen Shoes.  I must say I thought they looked pretty cool and they felt great.  The next five miles went well; the second stream crossing went much better and I was running at my own pace.   About 4 and half hours into my run I began the old familiar feeling of cramping.  I had been taking Succeed tablets (and I had given one away to a fellow runner).  I had a few Cliff Shots with me.  I took a couple and the cramping eased up.  I am impressed with this product, I just didn’t have enough – but I will definitely make sure I have these with me on any long run.  They are much easier to take than gels and you can let it gradually melt in you mouth.

I made the 25 mile aid station in fives hours but I knew I was in trouble; my quads were screaming and my calf had already seized up a couple of times.  I took some more Pringles and potatoes and an extra cup of water.  But the next five miles are the toughest part of the course and I had to do a lot of walking.  Towards the end of the last wooded section on a short downhill I went down hard.  Fortunately no damage done but it knocked the wind out of me and I resorted to walking until I got to the field.  (In a homage to Adam my legs were scratched and bleeding from stickers I had run thru.)



With the finish in sight I found myself able to run fairly well and actually ran up the last hill (something I couldn’t do last year).  Finish was in 6hours 33 minutes.  And I felt good.  My legs were sore but I didn’t feel wiped out.  Hot dog, chili and chicken soup soon revived me further.  

I felt frustrated that I hadn’t been faster, but quite certain I was well prepared for Nashville (I was very strong thru 4 hours).  I am always amazed how quickly the six hours fly by and how enjoyable these trail runs are.

My wife is dead set against me doing a fifty miler but reading  the Ultrarunning magazine they gave out as a promo I am intrigued.

I must say my admiration for real ultra runners continues to grow.

No comments: