Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Broad Street

Well defying conventional wisdom and, yes, common sense I ran the Broad Street Ten Mile Run last Sunday. I just couldn’t resist continuing the streak since this is the one race I have run every year since I began running.

The expo this year was at the Eagles football stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, and I thought it was a pretty successful venue, easy to get to and easy to park.

This was another record setting crowd but the organization seems to be able to handle it and there were no significant delays in getting my number or goodie bag.

Early Sunday I drove to Roosevelt Park and parked under I95 not far from the finish but a good hike to Broad and Pattison for the subway ride to Broad and Olney. When I got into the station I decided I would improve my chances for a seat by moving up a few cars, I walked into the door and there was Diane and Neil. Turned out we were on an express so the trip uptown was quick and easy.

Then the usual pre-run Broad Street routine – circle the Central High Track and few times, sit in the bleachers, catch up with as many friends as possible (but in the crush missed many more). The entry in and out of the field is a choke point and may be past the point of being able to handle the crunch of runners. Race down to the baggage bus, then back to the 8 minute start area (actually stood between the 7 and 8 points because I knew people overseed themselves).

It was a perfect weather day: cool temps, low humidity, bright sunshine. Race began on schedule and the crush at the mats was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The first mile was a little slow because of the overseeding and the large number of runners but it was a good pace for me. Also the water stops seemed to be working fairly well. I skipped the first one having taken Endurance just before the start. I would take water three times and then nothing after mile seven. It seemed about right given the weather.

I was continually passing people (and would continue to do so until the end) so I was somewhat surprised that my time was only 82 minutes (almost exactly the same as last year). I had thought my average mile was under 8:30 but I think I must have slowed down somewhat in the middle miles when I missed a couple of mile markers and didn’t have my splits. I was quite pleased with my last mile which was one of my fastest and where I past a couple of my Bryn Mawr running mates. Laura said she heard someone call hear name but knew it was me when she heard “Just one more repeat” as we entered the Navy Yard. She was one of a few who asked somewhat puzzled “didn’t you just run a Marathon?”

Again the finish area was handled well given the number of runners crunching in. The kid on the baggage bus had my bag ready even before I asked for it.

I walked over to the park savoring the crowd and the runners still streaming into the Navy Yard. Bryn Mawr and Northeast tailgates were set up next to each other so I got to see everyone and then I spied a runner wearing a Dead Runners Shirt. I knew right away it had to be Ron Steve. I was able to introduce him to Diane and eventually give him a ride back to his hotel.

There doesn’t seem to be any ill effects. I took off Monday and Tuesday but had no DOMS and ran an easy five this morning. Looking back I’m glad I decided to go for it.

Here’s an interesting article about Broad Street that appeared in today’s Inquirer:

No comments: