Sunday, December 24, 2006

ALARM CLOCKS


A frequent discussion thread for runners is the timing of runs: Morning,mid-day, evening. But I reckon the majority of runners are morning runners. Which leads me to my theme - how do you get up.

I have a friend who has never used an alarm clock. He is so confident in his ability to wake when he wants he doesn't ever use one. Makes sense I guess - afterall for thousands of years humans had to get up without artificial aids, although I am guessing that most humans got up with dawn. Perhaps there a book that discusses how non-technological societies handled waking.

I remember reading that clocks or at least devices that accurately tracked time were developed by monks who needed to know when the hours of prayer occurred (Matins, Lauds, Prime, etc.).

Probably, Islam needed the same.

I still remember my first alarm clock, bought in a local five and ten. I was about 11 and my Father decided I was old enough to be responsible to get myself up. It was the kind with two bells, had a satisfying tick tock, and rang like the all the bells that terrified Scrooge just before Marley's appearance. I did love that clock.

For years now I have used a clock radio to get up but my wife still prefers an alarm ring to wake up. I am a solid sleeper and have slept through storms and calamities that have woken or kept my wife up but ironically I wake up easily and instantaneously.

I have some ability to wake up when I want but I am not as confident as my friend to forgo an clock altogether. Normally, I wake up about two minutes before the alarm goes off whether it is for 5:30 AM or my weekend 7 AM. This enables me to turn off the alarm so as not to disturb my wife. I am not sure how this works, but I just think of when I want to get up before going to sleep and I wake up at that time. I am lucky in that I generally fall right off to sleep and have almost never had insomnia.

I know there are some that recommend naps but I don't usually nap during the day although I have been know to fall asleep in front of the TV or while reading at night.

Do you use an alarm clock?
If so what kind?
Do you get right up or linger? Do you use the snooze alarm - I never
do - don't see the point of ten extra minutes?
Are you a light or heavy sleeper?


But best wishes to all for a very joyous holiday.

Chad Brooks

No comments: