Saturday, December 09, 2006

WINTER RUNNING

I knew it would be cold and dark this morning when I began my run. The surprise was that even though sunrise was still a half hour away the sky had already brightened considerably. But cold it was - last week I had run in shorts and a t-shirt; this week I needed a jacket, hat and mittens. It wasn't just cold (25F) but windy too. The wind is not too bad once in the woods, but how it roared overhead in the canopy.

The woods are in full winter mode - you can see deep thru the trees and the contours of the surrounding land are much more apparent. I love this change - sometimes in the summer wood I feel almost claustrophobic as the wood pushes in and grabs at you. But now the all the beauty of trunk and branch can be seen and appreciated.

I have decided that once across Painter Road I will run my usual path backwards. I like the newness this simple step creates and how different everything looks and feels.

I often see deer in the winter woods simply because the line of sight is improved, but today I am completely alone except for some small birds that seem to enjoy my company and flit ahead of me every few yards but never fly away.

I cross water very carefully. Last week I slipped and got wet feet - I don't want that today. As usually happens, less that a mile into the run I feel quite comfortable - my thumbs are a little cold but I draw up then into the mittens and feel good.

Because of my route I am in shadow most of the way. I know the sun is up because I can see the gold tones on the higher ridges and tree tops but along the creek I am still in shadow.

Last Sunday I went to the Darwin exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Tree height is an example of natural selection wherein some plants get advantage by getting more light. I realize looking up, this just isn't in relation to competition with other plants, but also because by stretching up, the tree will get more morning light. Even though no photosynthesis is happening now the effect is quite striking as light floods the heights.

At last my circuit is completed I as I climb higher, I too see the morning sun, brilliant but giving no heat.

I enter the field where my Oak lies. When I saw it fallen two weeks ago it was still in leaf but now it lies bare - its striking lattice structure revealed. I get my camera out to take a photo hoping to capture the moon still visible above. My camera, however, won't work - too cold. The lens extends but nothing fires up. Should have carried the camera under my jacket - oh well lesson learned. Even the short time without mittens has frozen my fingers and I can feel the chill seeping in. So one last look and then off. A hot shower and coffee will feel very good.

No comments: