Monday, May 03, 2010

Broad Street Run

Some day I will wake on the first Sunday in May and it will be sunny, cool, and dry but not this year. Last Sunday I did a Tri and it was wet and cold, this Sunday hot, humid, hazy.

I no longer run distances, but I do run Broad Street. (I haven't updated this blog for a long time and perhaps I will explain in a future post). I have not run ten miles since last year so I lined up with some trepidation and felt somewhat like a poser. I do Broad Street for sentimental reasons. It was my first long distances race and I still remember the excitement of running with thousands of runners. Coming up to the first water stop and hearing a crunching sound and realizing it was runners crunching plastic cups (I noted that all the cups yesterday were paper but there was one water station where you had to run carefully to avoid slipping on a carpet of cups and there was that satisfying crunch.)

Generally speaking I thought the race organizers did a great job managing such a huge crowd. I usually park in Roosevelt Park (the race use to end in Roosevelt Park - the Navy Yard makes a much better finish) close to the Subway stop but about a mile and half from the finish. I got an express subway and a seat. Even though it was an early train it was packed and when we got to Broad and Olney there were already thousands of runners. I walked to the football field and promptly used a porta potty since I knew that later the lines would be impossible. Much to my surprise it was pristine and the toilet paper was still wrapped – don’t think I ever encountered that before.

They changed the baggage checked this year. Rather then based on your bib number it was a first come first serve system; each runner received a band that id’d their bus and bag. I think the idea was that instead of waiting for all the runners to check their bag, each bus could leave as packed. I didn’t think the wait was onerous and it was very easy to retrieve my bag at the end.

I must give a shout out to volunteers – whether it is a small event like last week’s triathlon ord huge like yesterday these events wouldn’t happen without volunteers. I found the bus kids, the water givers, the food tent people full of spirit. Kudos to whoever organizes this effort. (Last week volunteers stood for hours in a cold, drizzly rain and still cheered us on when us back of pack got to them).

It took me 13 minutes to get to the start line – the longest ever but once we started running I didn’t found it too difficult to get into a rhythm and found I didn’t need to dodge or weave too much.

A little about the course: Broad Street is one of the longer straight streets (interrupted only by City Hall) in the country. It is very urban with very few residences (until South Philadelphia). You past Philly’s industrial past especially at Broad and Leigh. You past Temple Hospital and Temple University. There is the sad relic of the Divine Lorraine Hotel, the Inquier building, City Hall (one time the largest government building in the world), and then in succession the Union League, Academy of Music and the Kimel Center. By Broad and Oregon I am ready to finish but there’s still a couple of miles. It is always a shock to get to Broad and Pattison and realize there still a mile to go.

By habit I have always run the in southbound lane but I heard a runner point out the northbound lane was somewhat shaded and immediately changed over. It added some steps but was worthwhile. Contrary to my expectations I never had a problem getting water and, although it probably costs me a couple of minutes, I made sure I stopped at each station (normally I skip stations) and actually drink the water. I took one power bar gel right after City Hall and a Succeed Tablet at mile seven. No cramping and while slow I finished feeling strong.

I wish my time hadn’t slipped over 1:40 but given conditions felt satisfied. (Not for the first time I was struck by how young everyone around me seemed. Sigh!).

Usually I avoid water sprays from hydrants because I fear wet shoes means blisters but after mile five I did every hydrant and it felt good.

Note to future racers as you near the Navy Yard there is a downhill. Use it. It will be the last time you can really race for speed. Once you enter the Navy Yard the course narrows and the crowded conditions make a spurt for the finish line difficult.

The “chip” is now in the race bib so no stopping at the finish. Some crowding and a slow slog thru the refreshment area and then out into the amazingly crowded Parade Grounds.

Didn’t run into people I expected to see. Ran into people I didn’t expect to see. Did see Neil Weygandt and got to congratulate him on another Boston finish (42???? quite a record). Then the long, slow walk back to car.

Glad I did it. Unlike someI quite enjoyed the crowds. Yes it is much too crowded. Yes there is a lot of hurry up and wait. Yes there are people who really shouldn’t be running a 5K let alone ten miles. But there is a great spirit to this race and tremendous energy of human spirit. I hope I can do it again next year.

P.S. It turns out that cross training does aerobically prepare you. You won't be fast but you will finish with energy left. I was skeptical that the elliptical training was really preparing me aerobically but so far this season I have a second in my age group in a 5K (obviously being in the 60+ age group helps), a first in my tri age group (ok there were only two competitors in that age group), and a Broad Street finish that the results say I'm in the 55 percentile. And my hip doesn't hurt. Yes I am well satisfied.

\

No comments: