Sunday, December 04, 2005

DECEMBER PREDICTION


DECEMBER PREDICTION RUN

Through the year the Bryn Mawr Running Company schedules prediction runs.  In the spring and summer these are evening runs, but in December it is scheduled for Saturday morning.  

There are three possible courses 5 miles, 7.5, and 10.  I have never done the longer courses (since I am so slow I am afraid of 1) getting lost and 2) everyone being gone when I get back).

The entry fee is an unwrapped toy, socks, or used shoes in good shape to be donated to St. Vincent’s Home.

A prediction run is fun because in theory anyone can win.  You write down the time you think you will finish any of the three courses.  You must leave your watch behind.  You carry your time with you and turn it in at the end of the race.   I say in theory because while slower runners can and do win you must have a very good sense of pace.  For most of the run you can run at your own pace but there are a couple of busy streets to cross (which may mean waiting for a traffic light) and it is hilly course.

It was a chilly morning but very clear; perfect for running.

Once I came very close to my predicted time but because of timing mess up I didn’t get an award.  Saturday, I was almost two minutes too fast.  I knew I had taken the course a little too fast and tried to slow down at the end but it was still too much.

A very fun run and a great way to turn a run into a social experience and still maintain a bit of competitiveness.

No comments: