Monday, December 12, 2005

Reindeer Romp

I have a special place in my heart for this race. You see I designed the course. It is eight years ago now. Wow! I was approached by the American Cancer Society about doing a 5K race. I was skeptical about having an event in December. Competition from other runs, and iffy weather gave me pause. They originally wanted to simply use the same route as Haverford Township Day, but I discouraged that because I thought runners were less likely to come out for a course that many had just done in October. I volunteered to find a course that would work. I knew we had a great resource in the bus way. This is a relic left over from when trolley cars traveled thru the suburban counties of Philadelphia. One of these routes traveled the center of Darby Road to Eagle. When it crossed Eagle the route continued on a private right of way to Ardmore.

In the 1970’s the tracks were removed. Darby was widened to a four lanes with a medial strip, but the right of way was preserved – it was paved and is used exclusively by SEPTA buses. There are no buses scheduled for Sunday afternoons. (Hence the 3PM start which everyone seems to love. Although the first year just a minute before the start the fire alarms sounded and fire engines raced down the bus way on their way to a fire – needless to say it added a little excitement) So I had a good start for my course. Down the bus route to Haverford, turn and go back on the bus way to Merwood where you turn onto residential streets thru a very pretty neighborhood – made even more beautiful this year by the freshly fallen snow. (A long portion is on Golf Road that parallels Merion Golf Course.) You finish by turning back to the bus route. Many runners are surprised by the hilliness of the course. It is down, up, down, up.

A few years ago a local runner, Kevin Nolan, who is also a local businessman took over the leadership of the race and has made it an outstanding event. He has persevered thru some horrendous weather events and has been rewarded the last two years with near perfect weather. The big December event use to be the Jingle Bell Run which this year had 548 runners; Kevin had 407 (and a couple hundred walkers). Enough runners that Kevin came up with the clever idea of using the adjoining street for a spilt start. I joked with Kevin that he will have to start using a chip to time the race.

There were a couple of icy spots but I had seen Kevin on Saturday and he was out with volunteers clearing the icy corners so the spots were few and manageable. It showed great dedication and spirit on the part of Kevin and his crew.

I ran well. Not quite into medal territory but 4th in my age group and those who won are very fast seniors.

The photo below is me (post race and a little sweaty) and Santa.

No comments: