Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Natural Running


I realize that one of the side benefits of running is that I am much more aware of and in tune with the “natural” world. (I use quotes because I don’t think that urban living is unnatural – but “natural” has come to mean the things in the world less touched by and controlled by humans). For example, like most every runner, I am attuned to the weather, topography, the changing seasons, the changes of light and dark in ways that most are not.

I also notice the other creatures that share my neighborhood. Some are common like crows and squirrels. Others more rarely sighted like foxes. Sometimes it happens just outside my own door. A while back I wrote about coming home to find the house surrounded by mourning doves. And last week as I was leaving the house I noticed that the ornamental pear tree just in front of the house was filled with scores and scores of robins. I have seen congregations of robins before (I think I wrote before about such a congregation) but this was outside my own front door and in such numbers. I moved slowly not wishing to disturb them but even my slight movements spooked them into scattering. But that moment. . .

So Saturday I was out for a run. It had rain most of the morning and I put off my run to early afternoon hoping for a dry spell. I took the route that leads me past Merion Country Club. As I went up Golf View Road – Merion golf course to my right – there are large homes on a couple of acres (the McMansions of the 1920’s) to my left. I noticed a flock of deer standing stark still like lawn ornaments.

I expected them to run and indeed they did, but toward me. They covered the ground between us almost instantly and then we were running side by side separated by a small privet hedge. Then, suddenly, a buck jumped the hedge almost directly in front of me and raced for the golf course. The others found a small gap in the hedge and raced through. For a second I was tempted to race after them but instead I watched them disappear into the golf course.

I looked around hoping someone else had seen this magical moment but I was all alone. No traffic, no walkers, no one in sight. What prompted this behavior is a mystery. Why did they run toward me? Did the buck just want to show off?

It felt strangely satisfying as if the deer made me part of their running group.

No comments: