Monday, August 04, 2003

Dogs

Humans and dogs have a long history. Natural History did an article about pariah dogs. (No link available) While in the west dogs have become companion animals, in many parts of the world the dog/human association is more coexistence than friendship. Dogs act as scavengers tolerated in and near the village but not cared for. Yet the dogs play important role in warding off predators. It is an interesting symbiosis.

As anyone who has lived with dogs knows they relate to humans in different ways. Marty, our first dog, was a toy poodle. I’m not sure how I would fit him into the social status scale. He didn’t like other dogs but was fine with most people and while never aggressive there were a few he was cold too. He was amazing attuned to human mood and would always seek to comfort those in distress. He liked being next to you, the closer the better.

Now Max, our current companion, definitely fits the Independent description. He’s a great character, doesn’t let too much bother him, and tolerant of all. But once he has check things out he will settle down (unless food is in the offing). He also has the ability cited in the Washington Post article to expect solutions from his humans. No endless repetition for him – get the human to do it is his answer.

Max is a miniature schnauzer. He loves to root and is fascinated by moving things like squirrels, rabbits, but especially bugs. Flying insects are worthy of great attention. He will study there movements and pounce. Not too fussy (he’s a shreck) he'll eat just about anything (worms, moths, and the worst a slug). Once he leapt up and actually caught a bumblebee. I guess they don’t sting – there seemed to be no ill effects. But last night, bug world had its revenge. I noticed just before we got home from a walk that he was limping and fussing with his left paw. When I got home I told my wife that something was wrong and we examined his paw but could find nothing even using a magnifying glass. But then something interesting happened. Max who always has his place near you but separate, insisted on being right next to me. He pushed his paw right up next to me. My wife who had consulted our dog first aid book was convinced that his injury was a sting. I found on examination that there was a swelling on his paw. I got some ice but it was up to my wife to administer it since I had to go to the nursing home. When I got home Francine was triumphant. She had found a stinger – small but quite lethal looking. Max milked it a little more (I think he liked the attention) but by his night walk he was just fine and this morning there was no evidence anything had happened. But I found it interesting how he came to be comforted with the expectation we would make it better. It is an awesome responsibility we undertake when we let these creatures into our lives.




No comments: