Sunday, August 24, 2003

Schuylkill River Trail

Don’t be fooled by the title. This is not a trail run. The Schuylkill River Trail is a rails to trails project. This is a multi-use trail that is used mostly by bikers. My understanding is that the trail will extend for 110 miles from Philadelphia north into Berks County. I began in Conshohocken – from there to Norristown the trail is bounded by old industrial America and rail tracks still in use. Below the tracks you glimpse views of the river. A couple miles past Norristown you encounter a private community (isn’t that an oxymoron) that almost has a resort feel. About two miles from Valley Forge you enter an arbor of trees. This stretch is very pretty in the fall. Since the last time I was here a vast half mile stretch on the west side of trail has been cleared of all vegetation. Apparently some development is afoot here but just what I don’t know. Just before Valley Forge there are the remains of the Betzwood Studios where silent films were made. I ran a little further into the park along a new portion of the trail. I understand that you can continue on for at least seven more miles – I will have to try that portion soon. At the park I refilled my camel pack and started back. I have been in trouble on return journey when it was very hot and I didn’t take in enough fluid. But today, I was in good shape attributed I think to using Succeed, the camel pack to stay hydrated, and the great temps (75F) and low humidity. I estimate I got about 18 miles in. The trail has mile markers which are different from the last time I ran. Not sure what the start is, possibly the Art Museum since mile 30, is in Valley Forge Park.


No comments: