Friday, August 22, 2003

Friday Trail Run

I am finding trail running addictive. Roads are ok. But it is so nice to slip off the road and into the woods. This morning it was the Rocky Run and Darlington. Hot and humid low misty clouds hung in the air. The last time I went this way the bridges were in disarray but someone has repair, righted or replaced them all. I’m not as familiar with Darlington as Rocky Run and portions of the trail aren’t clearly marked but I stayed on course. The last couple of weeks I haven’t seen much wild life but today there was a beautiful blue egret and a strange bird black and yellow and orange. A pair of deer let me get quite close before they ran off through the trees. I had a choice to run back to a bridge or cross the creek, I thought I would give the stream crossing a try. The water was about 2 feet deep but there were plenty of stones. Unfortunately midway across the stones were very small and slippery but I danced on and managed not to fall in (not that it would have much mattered since I was soaking wet by then). These aren’t classically beautiful woods, just the remains of an old dairy farm spared from the developer by some far sighted individuals and given this day to me as a wonderful gift of peace and tranquility.

No comments: