Friday, July 25, 2003

Connections

One of the great things about the web is the connections it makes between things. The web has connected me with a diverse group of people all over the world. It also reconnects. Last year I was randomly googling places from my youth when I saw an article about a place where I spent those important teen age years. The writer was my English high school teacher. There are teachers who make no impression and then there are those who profoundly change your life. Jim Atwell was the latter. Just one small example: Jim introduced me to haiku and because of that I became interested in Japan. Later that interest would lead me to request assignment to Japan and to my surprise the Army did just that and I spent three years in Japan.

Jim’s article appeared in the Cooperstown Crier so I emailed the paper and eventually was put in touch with Jim. Since then we have occasionally corresponded and I read his column every week. Most are about his life in the Cooperstown area but now and then he remembers other places. Recently he wrote about the Mummers.

Curious how strong the influence of this tradition. I doubt if anyone who grown up in the Philadelphia area hasn't been affected by the tradition (even if it's hate and a determination to watch the Rose Parade).


No comments: