Friday, July 04, 2003

Good Neighbor Day (Downingtown) 5K-10k-15K

First time I’ve run a race like this where there are three loops of the same course. I was fooled into thinking since the event takes place in Kerr Park that at least part of the course would be thru parkland. But the course is strictly urban with the largest part of the course on the commercial section of Lancaster Avenue. Who ever claimed this was flat and fast must have worked for Iraq Information Ministry. There is a very long uphill on Lancaster. No shade. Not many spectators but there were a couple of spots where the neighbors sat out in lawn chairs. I did my obnoxious “clap with both hands” but it seemed to work. The 2nd and 3rd times around I did get some cheers. I was going to ask it if was ok to drop down a loop if you felt like it but I didn’t want to be tempted if you could (looking at the tag board my guess is that you couldn’t since each leg had its own color code and I didn’t see any intermixed.) Not only you could be tempted to drop out each leg, but the loop was such that mid way on Lancaster Avenue there was a direct, short cut to the start/finished.

I started out way too far back in the pack. I had wanted an easy start but not this slow. First mile was very slow. Unfortunately I don’t quite know how slow since I missed the mile marker. Nevertheless, the first 5K went quickly and I was somewhere around 25:00.
(So I should finish in 75 minutes right?). It was interesting seeing the drop off of the 5K runners. Much smaller crowd now. Loop around not bad going – but very hot and no shade. Sheesh couldn’t they plant some trees I never realized how much trees gentled the landscape. Don’t expect trees on Lancaster but even the residential streets have only a few. Water stops are adequate although some the volunteers don’t quite get handing off the cups. The end of the 1OK has two surprises: walkers – dozens and dozens – and they don’t seem to realize the runners need room to pass. And I get lapped – a runner flies by – where does someone get that much energy to finish a 10K then I realize it must be someone doing the 15K and I still have 3+ miles – yikes.

Once more around – now I am very hot and I am slowing but still steady. The remaining runners are very spread out. A couple of dropouts, some passes, but mostly being passed. In the last mile a paramedic on a bike comes by and asks are you alright sir. Jeesh do I look that bad. No he’s checking on everyone at this point – only a little further he says – that’s what I’m hoping I say. Now the last 300 yards. A little guy asks – are you the last one? Uh oh I must be really slow. Well there are a least a couple of runners behind me (the last guy in by the way was pushing a stroller with 4 seats. Now how did he do 9 miles?)

Finished about 80 minutes and change (I think the fall off was the long hill). That’s about 8:40’s slow but not bad considering how slow the first mile was and the heat. I had thought that 8 minutes like I did in Broad Street would be possible but that was before the hills and that heat. (My two least favorite things).

Plenty of water at end. And bags of ice – a nice treat courtesy of the fire department.
Nothing to eat but potato chips but I treat myself to a funnel cake.

This Fourth of July run is part of Downingtown’s Good Neighbor Day. I (blush) think Haverford Township is better (but for them it’s still early in the day – they will go until fireworks tonight so maybe I shouldn’t be too quick to judge).

The flea / craft market was disappointing. I would have liked to have stayed for the canoe race but it was getting late and I wanted to be home by noon.

Will I do it again – don’t think so – but it was interesting and fun.

No comments: