Friday, July 18, 2003

Trail run

After missing last week I returned to the trail for my Friday morning run. I noticed that it is already a little darker when I take Max out for his walk, but by the time I have eaten and driven to work it’s bright morning. Quite a beautiful morning at that.

This time I head out on the path that runs thru Tyler Arboretum toward Ridley Creek Park. This path too has changed greatly since I was last on it. The growth is lush and encroaches on the path. My legs are scratched by briers. I cross an opening where power lines run and it is filled with purple flowers. The streams have returned to their sedate levels and are easier to cross although one passage has become a 20 yard bog where I slow to a walk. The woods seem very quiet and then suddenly a crashing – deer are running. I haven’t seen deer in the last several runs. But today I would encounter them several times – I wonder why? I feel a satisfaction since I must have been running very quietly since I can get quite close before they are startled into flight. Usually the deer quickly disappear but today one bounds several yards and stops and watches me. Very dangerous behavior – in the fall there will be hunters, but perhaps a runner seems like some other creature not so dangerous.

On the way back I change route slightly and run on the edge of a field. By the woods edge just into the open are rabbits. Again although most scatter, a few seem reluctant to hide and one even runs with me a short distance.

As has happened before on trail runs I also fine myself reluctant. In my case, I am reluctant to finish and come out of the woods onto the hard roads and the tyranny of the office. But, inevitably, I am back on the highway that leads to work. Well it will be nice to get out of my wet clothes and have a warm shower.

Mileage no idea – time about sixty minutes.

No comments: