Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I was running home from my Tuesday track workout at Haverford College when I saw an announcement for the Oakmont Civic Association's 4th of July celebrations. I have always enjoyed these small celebrations of local community. Although some towns have large community celebrations (I will be going to Downingtown for a 4th of July run and will scope out their community celebration for ideas about Haverford Township Day), I think these small neighborhood celebrations are perfect for the fourth. Each civic association gets to plan, have a small parade, and celebrate those freedoms first laid out in Declaration of Independence. Robert Putman in Bowling Alone reminds how important the social capital of being community is. When I was a police officer in Haverford and visited the various civic association celebrations, I always reflected that these quiet gatherings of neighbors was why we served and protected and represented the very best instincts of Americans.

No comments: