Monday, July 07, 2003

Friendship.

I am curious about what creates friendships – common interests would seem obvious but surely there is more to it than that. Saturday I attended the wedding of a daughter of someone I have known for thirty years (the 25 years previously sited shows how fast time is slipping away). It seems an unlikely friendship – my wife has always thought so and yet enthusiastically approves of the friendship. Someone at the wedding who has also known Dale for a long time described him as a smart aleck and it seems perfect shorthand: (dictionary definition – obnoxiously self assured, impudent.) That’s Dale – they should put his picture beside the definition. But there’s more there and although he would blush to hear, there is a fundamental decency in Dale. Don’t ask him for his opinion if you don’t want to hear for you will get it full barreled. I have another friend quite different from Dale, but the same. A truth lover and teller not in awe of other’s opinions but neither will do anything to hurt someone out of spite or meanness.

I like rule breakers who know the importance of rules and respect them but know when to push the envelope for what is right (the rule is sometimes it better to say I'm sorry then asks permission. But you better think three times and be prepared for the consequences.)

I have been very lucky in my friends. I have never felt I had to agree with them to keep their friendship. They are secure in who they are and when I’m full of it they will be glad to tell me without animosity but with that world weariness that says there you go again let me set you straight.

No comments: