Sunday, July 27, 2003

RUN FOR THE HILL OF IT

Many races are run to benefit a charity. The charity benefits not from entry fees but from sponsors. The sponsors give for a variety of reasons but one is probably the exposure they get on race shirts and other connections to the race. While there are many good causes they are usually rather anonymous. But the organizers of Run For The Hill of It personalize their giving. The organizers FRIENDS OF ERIK have a committee that works on the race and also a dinner race in the fall. Today, at the race the timer said that of the 50 races they time every year this is the hardest working committee he knows.

The committee which includes family members of previous recipients selects a family with a child with special needs to assist with expenses not covered by medical insurance.

I always believe it’s beneficial for runners about to race to reflect on those who are unable to run. Last year, it was one of the reasons I gave runners for our Haverford Township 5K that benefits Merry Place . They can run for those who can’t.

This race attracted 660 runners. It’s a great course that uses Forbidden Drive (see my 13 July blog). Starting not far from Northwestern Avenue the course is a wide cinder path that goes downhill for 2.5 miles to Valley Green, a turn around and back up.

Last year I strategize that I would go out carefully and save energy for the uphill. Well the hill was still a struggle (and it was terribly hot last year). So this year I just decided to enjoy the downhill and let the uphill take care of itself. I didn’t actually go all out but kept a fair pace and the splits show it. I actually felt good coming back. Looks like I had one slow mile - three as usual. Finish time 40:08. My 8:02 pace put me in the middle of the pack 287 (660) and my age group 14(30). Lots of fast runners. A 60 year old finished in 33 minutes and the winner in my age group ran 6:25 miles. Wow.

After the race a group of us were talking running (what else) and a fellow who finished just in front of me said you use to beat me. Alas it’s true, however, I said but I’m having a lot more fun. I have enjoyed these hard but easy efforts. But maybe it’s time to get back to hard training and hard racing. 60 years and 33 minutes. Wow. I must say these guys are an inspiration.


No comments: