Sunday, July 13, 2003

Fairmount Park

This morning the CBS news did a couple of stories on Central Park. This is truly a public space with gardens. Late this morning I ran in a section of Fairmount Park . Fairmount Park is Philadelphia’s great public space. Unlike Central Park which has clearly defined boundaries. Fairmount Park wanders on both sides of the Schuylkill and up the Wissahickon. My impression is that Central Park is very much a creation of man. Fairmount Park has less obvious artifice but is probably also very much a creation. In fact, Olmsted and Vaux who designed Central Park also worked on parts of Fairmount Park.

I ran in the northwest section of the park. In two weeks I will do the Run For The Hill Of It along Forbidden Drive and this morning’s run was to be a rehearsal. The last time I ran this route it was very dry and dusty. But last night’s rain left many puddles in the roadway. The story is that the name Forbidden Drive came about because carriages were forbidden on this stretch of road to prevent the young men from racing. (The more prosaic story is the prohibition dates to the 1920's and forbade cars. I like the racing carriages version.) Forbidden Drive goes from the Andorra section of Philadelphia all the way to Kelly Drive/Ridge Avenue. I ran to Valley Green. It is 2.5 miles each way. All downhill to Valley Green and then an uphill return. That’s what makes it a hard race (that and the fact it is always brutally hot).

Lots and lots of people out on a beautiful day. About a mile in I passed a horse and rider. Shortly after I heard the horse right behind – no longer at a walk it seemed to be cantering. No problem plenty of room to pass and then a huge puddle. I had visions of the passing the puddle just as the horse galloped thru but then the rider pulled up. Very considerate if she saw the same problem I did.

It is great to have these public places. I feel ready for the race. Hope that day is as beautiful as this Sunday.

No comments: