Tuesday, July 01, 2003

One of the pleasures of road running is getting to see the incremental changes in the world around you. If you are an early morning runner you are much more aware of the seasonal changes in light and landscape. But I have found that trail running intensifies that awareness. The woodland trails here are greatly different season to season and last week I became aware that other forces can make dramatic changes.

Last year was very dry. Although my run crosses and recrosses Rocky Run and several smaller streams they were barely noticeable during the drought. But this year has been very rainy and June was the 2nd wettest June ever.

I was given proof on my last trail run. I have already related how during the Double Trouble Trail Run there was a very interesting stream crossing because a bridge at French Creek Park was completely washed away. Similarly when I came on the first bridge I realized it had moved. It’s a well built bridge designed to hold horses and crosses a small stream – normally hardly noticeable. But during one of the storms the water had risen high enough that it had lifted the bridge and moved it 15 feet downstream.

As I moved on I saw evidence that most of the trail must have been under water recently and there were areas where the water still had not drained. The next couple of bridges I came to had sustained damaged and were either moved or tilted at crazy angles. Finally I came to a bridge that was completely gone although there were pieces of timber around that were parts of the bridge.

It was fascinating to see the changes wrought by the water both subtle and not so subtle – new stream courses, trees down, and even boulders rearranged. I can only imagine what must happen during major flooding.

I’m glad that even in this well settled land there’s a place where I can get a small taste of what truly wild areas must be like.

Here's a link to the Rocky Run Trails

No comments: