Saturday, July 12, 2003

GARDENS

I cut the grass today. That is about all the gardening we have done this year. Well that’s not quite true – my wife has planted several pots. Pots are nice because they are relatively easy and allow for creativity in both the mix in the pot and the mix of pots. However, pots dry out quickly and need constant attention. Forget a day of water and they are quickly in trouble. Especially our pots this year which are in the front of the house which faces south. The brick and stone capture the heat and make if very warm.

Last year was very hot and dry and we eventually gave up on the garden and concentrated on keeping a few pots going. Because we were planning some major renovations in the rear of the garden we never got the flower beds going. The garden has return to nature (ok it’s gone to seed). It’s a mess, but for me there is great beauty in that wildness. I wouldn’t want it permanently but it has been interesting to see the wild (ok weeds) that grow up. We have perennials that survived the hot summer and a cold wet spring and have spilled out of their beds in a wild array.

I enjoy gardens. There are the semi public gardens around us. A favorite is Chanticleer
just around the corner it is small enough to be enjoyed in a quiet afternoon, and it's entrance fee is quite reasonable. It has great trees, wonderful flower beds, and interesting structures including a faux house.

We also have Longwood Gardens; this is the former Dupont estate. I haven’t been there in several years but I have always loved it. My father took us there where we were children and I never forgot the pleasure of its grounds – and especially the exotic green houses.

My wife and I had a very enjoyable day at Morris Arboretum.

This like the other two is an old estate and has the name indicates is more about trees than flowers. It also has wonderful sculptures.

If you are a gardener thank you. You bring great beauty into the world, and bring happiness to many. And if you haven't been to a garden lately you really should treat yourself and go.

No comments: